1970s are definitely the decade of the hippies, the disco and the jetset life.
- The 1970s see the growing popularity of new stylists such as Sonia Rykiel (“queen of knitwear’), Jean-Charles de Castelbajac, Japanese Issey Miyake, Kenzo, Karl Lagerfeld at Chloe, Diane Von Furstenberg, Thierry Mugler, Jean-Paul Gaultier... They will change for good the image of style, as journalists keep promoting their work and praise for novelty.
- Emilio Pucci created statement patterns worn by all the jet set.
- Led by Vivienne Westwood and Malcolm McLaren, the punk scene thrived.
- The boho style: high-waisted flare jeans, long tunics, vests and maxi dresses, knit and crochet, nature prints
- Unisex outfit, pantsuits or overalls with denim and denim
- Diane Von Furstenberg’s wrap dress
- Shirts with statement collars and shorter skirts
- Punk: tattered T-shirts and safety-pinned tartan.
- Evening statements with sequins for disco
- Jane Fonda, Olivia Newton John, Catherine Deneuve, Bianca Jagger, Iman, Farrah Fawcett...
- Pop stars like Mick Jagger and David Bowie exerted a big influence over fashion
Discover here our selection of unique 1970s pieces.